1. Add another layer of clothes!
- It’s much easier to change your body temperature than a rooms temperature, especially as it is more eco friendly.
- Instead of turning up the heat, add another layer of clothing.
- Cuddle up to a friend or a furry friend! 🐱
2. Stop the drafts and put a door stopper snake at your door!
- Stop the heat from leaving your home and prevent the cold from seeping into your home! Invest in a door stopper snake! 🐍
- You can find them at your local hardware store or department store for under $5 or better yet, sew your socks together and stuff with rice and pillow fill!
3. Dress up your windows!
- Curtains or blinds are a great way to keep you warm during winter and cool during summer.
- Up to 40% of heating energy can be lost through windows, keep them closed this winter to retain the warmth in your home.
4. Make use of those winter recipes!
- Is Mum’s old cookbook in the bottom draw of the kitchen cupboard?
- Grab it out and start cooking with some winter recipes. A favourite winter recipe is the classic vegetable soup. It's a healthy and filling option for a warm meal.
Healthy Vegetable Soup Recipe
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 red onion, finely chopped
3 celery sticks, finely chopped
3 carrots, peeled, finely chopped
1 can of corn
1 can of chickpeas
3 garlic cloves, crushed
1L vegetable liquid stock
400g can diced tomatoes
400g can beans, rinsed, drained
Fresh purple basil leaves, to serve
Finely grated parmesan, to serve
Bread to serve!
1. Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium-high heat. Add the onion, celery, carrot and cook, stirring often, for 10 minutes or until the vegetables are soft and lightly golden. Add garlic. Cook, stirring, for 1 minute or until aromatic.
2.Transfer to a large pot. Stir in stock, tomato, beans, corn and chickpeas. Cover and cook for 30 mins on medium-low heat.
3. Divide the soup among serving bowls. Sprinkle with the basil and grated Parmesan.
A hearty and warm meal for those winter days! If you have a slow cooker, you can prep this meal in the morning and it will be ready for you when it's dinner time.
Recipe adapted from taste.com.au.
5. Sit in the sun!
- Grab a book and sit in the sun! whether it be through the rays through the window in your house or out in the courtyard in the fresh air. ☀️
- The sun is a free, natural, warm energy source. Use it to you advantage this winter.
Remember staying warm this winter doesn't mean you have to break the bank by using electricity in your home. Use these tips to save some money and also save our Environment.